1. It is not just a personal matter, but it is a national matter.
The spiritual climate of a nation can greatly affect its political and military power, its self-sufficiency, and its influence on the world.
2. It is not just a singular experience, but it is a continuous one.
3. It is not just a blessing, but it is a trial. (Hebrews 12:7-11)
Common elements of each dirge
1. a demand that God be recognized (1:18; 2:1; 3:22-24; 4:11-12; 5:1)
2. a demand that sin be acknowledged (1:8; 2:14; 3:42-45; 4:13; 5:16-18)
3. a plea for mercy to be experienced (1:21; 2:19; 3:55-56; 4:22; 5:21)
The same steps are necessary for each of us to be saved.
These concepts apply not only to our salvation experience, but to our whole Christian lives.
We must continue to recognize God.
We must continue to acknowledge our sinfulness.
We must continue to experience God's mercy.