1. The shadow of doubt (Luke 1:18)
Because of his doubt, Zechariah was struck dumb.
When we doubt, our testimony is shaken, our effectiveness is hindered. We are debilitated until those doubts can be dispelled.
2. The shadow of rejection. (Isaiah 53:3)
Christ's rejection at the inn was indicative of the kind of rejection He would receive all His life.
The most common reason why people don't witness is because they fear rejection.
3. The shadow of heartache (Luke 2:28)
Jesus would be opposed and a sword would pierce Mary's own soul.
Heartache and disappointment are realities of life.
Even if our soul is pierced, it is still protected.
4. The shadow of death (Matthew 2:16)
The threat to Herod led to the massacre of all the infant boys of the region.
Knowing you are going to die can make you afraid to really live. Or it may make you not care care you live.
5. The shadow of Satan (Revelation 12:9)
As Christ was born, a hovering shadow was there.
The shadow of Satan will haunt us as long as he is able.
6. The shadow of the cross (Matthew 1:21)
Jesus came to earth so He could go to the cross.
Every time we sin, we are reminded of the cross.