Ruth 2:17-20; 4:14-15
1. If they sold their land, they could buy it back.
2. If they didn't have the means, another family member could buy it in their place.
3. If the husband died, a close family member was obligated to take his widow as his wife.
Requirements of the “go-el” (kinsman-redeemer)
1. had to be a close relative
2. must be willing to redeem
3. had to have the means to redeem
Throughout the Old Testament, the land was a symbol of God's promise to His people of a covenantal relationship.
The spiritual relevance to us
1. We, too, have broken our covenant and need a redeemer.
2. We, too, have been given a go-el.
3. Jesus met every requirement
a. Jesus became man so that He could become our brother
b. Jesus was willing to pay the price for our sins.
c. The power came from His perfection.
4. We, too, receive the right to become sons of God.
5. We, too, must come to the point of decision.