If you let your devotional life slide, it becomes a source of irritation, frustration and embarrassment.
Benefits of the inner garden
1. an eternal perspective on reality (Psalm 2:1-6)
God is sovereign and He has a plan
2. an intimate friendship you can develop with God (Psalm 51:10-13)
3. a fear of your accountability to God (Psalm 39:8)
Although God is our intimate friend, He is also the omnipotent God who punishes sin.
Uzziah (II Chronicles 26)
We will be humbled if we fail to stay in touch with God and keep in His Word.
4. an awareness of who we are in comparison to God (Psalm 8:3-6)
5. a spiritual reserve in moments of crisis (Psalm 119:49-52, 92-95, 141-144)
It is harder to hear God speak when you are overwhelmed by your own pain and disappointment.