A Message From Greg Bush
"THE EXALTATION OF THE SON"
The exaltation as connected to the other doctrines
1. Pre-existence (Hebrews 1:2-3)
Christ's exaltation is not a reward, but it is a resumption of the position of equality with God.
2. Humanity (Hebrews 2:7-9)
The fact that Christ is seated at the right hand of God testifies that His work has been completed.
3. Priesthood (Hebrews 8:1-6, 7:25, I John 2:1)
At the right hand of God, Jesus is in a position to continue to perform the functions of a priest.
4. Pilgrimage (Hebrews 12:1-3)
One word description of Christ – better!
Christianity not only remains intact in the midst of modern world views, but it rises above them.
How we can exalt the Lord
1. Worship (Psalm 99:5)
2. Testimony (Psalm 118:15-17)
3. Your body (Phil. 1:20, I Cor. 6:20)
"THE PRIESTHOOD OF THE SON"
The Purpose of Old Testament Priesthood
1. a symbol of spiritual progress
The actions of the priest
1. draw near to God by offering a sacrifice
2. intercede for man in prayer and supplication
Jesus as our high priest
1. selected from among men (5:1)
2. training (5:7-8)
3. sympathy (4:15)
4. present a perfect offering (5:3,9)
5. came only by divine appointment (5:4-5)
Priesthood after the order of Melchizadek (5:6, 10)
1. only person who was priest and king
2. king of righteousness, king of peace (7:1-2)
3. a priest of forever (7:3)
Distinct from the priesthood of Aaron
1. a better covenant (8:5-7)
2. a better sanctuary (9:1-9, 11)
3. a better sacrifice (10:3-4, 11-12)
Christmas is the proclamation that Scriptures have been fulfilled in Jesus Christ.
"THE HUMANITY OF THE SON"
Evidences of Jesus' humanity
1. Jesus referred to Himself as a man.
2. He had a soul and a material body.
3. He had human instincts and the active powers of humanity.
4. He was subject to the laws of human development.
5. He experienced suffering, sorrow and death.
Faulty doctrines of Christ
1. Docetism- Jesus only seemed to be a man.
2. Ebionites- Jesus eventually became divine.
3. Arianism- Jesus had an intermediate status.
Why the humanity of Jesus is important.
1. in order for Jesus to be a representative of men to God
2. in order for Jesus to define and complete our faith
(Heb. 2:9-10, 5:8-9, 12:2, Rom. 8:18-21, Heb. 10:32-35 12:11)
3. in order for Jesus to identify with our human sinful condition (Heb. 2:11, 17-18; 4:15)
4. in order for Jesus to die (Heb. 2:14-15)
5. in order for Jesus to be the first fruits of the resurrection (Rom. 6:5-11)
"THE PRE-EXISTENCE OF THE SON"
Demonstration of Christ's pre-existence
1. By Christ's works
Jesus was present and active in the creation of the universe.
(John 17:5, Philippians 2:6-11, Colossians 1:15-17)
2. His eternal generation
(Hebrews 1:5; 5:5- quote from Psalm 2:7 “Today, I have become Your Father.”
Hebrews 7:3, John 8:58- “Before Abraham was born, I Am.” (John 1:18)
3. His heavenly origin
Hebrews 10:5- “a body prepared for Me” (John 3:31, 6:33)
Connection to Christmas
1. Essential element of the doctrine of the virgin birth
The only way for God to become man was by miraculous conception.
2. Jesus emptied Himself when He took the form of man.
Before He was even born, Jesus made the choice to obey.
Pastor Scott Goodman