II Timothy 2:1-7
The Church can not prosper unless the teaching ministry is carried on and taken seriously.
2. The concepts of teaching and suffering go hand in hand. (Hebrews 2:7, 11)
3. Illustrations of the life of a disciplined disciple:
a. A Soldier (3-4)
- The attitudes, expectations and activities of believers should be separated from the rest of the world.
Being a soldier of Christ is a discipline of obedience, which is really a discipline of love. (John 14:15)
b. A Farmer (6)
- The mission of the Church is to plant seeds and cultivate them.
- God gives the increase.
c. An Athlete (5)
- An athlete needs to be in good conditioning.
A Christian disciple must keep up with his spiritual exercises.
- An athlete must develop the skills that are necessary.
A Christian disciple must use whatever gift God has given you.
- All athletes have experienced failure.
We must keep serving God even when we have setbacks.