I John 4:1-6
1. anything that is in opposition to God
2. anything that is under the control of Satan. (I John 5:19-20)
What is not meant by “the world”
1. material universe
However, any of these could represent “the world” to us as individuals.
What we know about “the world”
1. The world is under divine judgment.
a. The world cannot co-exist with God for eternity.
b. When Jesus came to earth, the world was already condemned.
2. The world is the object of God's love. (John 3:16, Romans 5:8)
3. God separated us from the world.
a. It's God's job to judge the world. It's also God's job to love the world, not ours. (I John 2:15-17)
b. The only way to be separate from the world is to trust in Christ, who overcame the world. (I John 5:4)