It is possible to be a disciple, and not be a believer.
Costs of being a disciple
1. You have to give up sin.
Sin is not an acceptable option for your life.
(I John 1:8; 3:9; Titus 2:14; I John 1:9; 2:1)
It's about your attitude toward sin.
2. separation from the world
world=all that is hostile toward God
(Galatians 6:14; I John 2:15)
3. opposition by the world (James 4:4; John 15:18)
If we are separated from the world, that means we are going to be enemies of those who are
friends of the world.
4. The price of temptation
Temptation is a way of life for the Christian.
Costs of not following Christ
- the offer of forgiveness
- the saving power of God the Son
- comfort and presence of the Holy Spirit
- assuring promises of God's Word
- joy of service in the name of the Lord
- blessed hope of seeing Jesus
- glories and rewards of God's kingdom
Luther: “a religion that gives nothing, costs nothing, and suffers nothing, is worth nothing.”