It has something to do with our obedience.
2. The filling of the Spirit is passive.
It has more to do with our submission to God.
3. The filling of the Spirit is for everyone.
To be spiritually open is the only requirement.
4. The filling of the Spirit is temporary.
This shows us there is a purpose for it.
Indications of the Spirit's filling and presence
a. Leading (vs. 14)- It's impossible to hear the Spirit's voice unless we know what it sound like on its own.
b. Confidence (15a) You are not a slave to fear.
c. Intimacy (15b)- a Person you know and love and you know loves you.
d. Security (16)- When the Spirit fills you, doubts and insecurities are blown away.
e. Identity (17)- When you are filled with the Spirit, you know who you are in Christ.
Hindrances to the filling of the Spirit
a. Grieving the Holy Spirit (Eph. 4:30)
sins of commission
b. Quenching the Holy Spirit (I Thess. 5:19)
sins of omission
What to do
1. Confess all known sin. (I John 1:9)
2. Ask the Holy Spirit to fill you. (Luke 11:13)