I John 5:13-20
Gnosticism puts people in three categories
1. pneumatics- had knowledge by nature
2. psychics- latent capacity for knowledge
3. worldly- earthly, so could never be saved
similarities between Gnosticism and Christianity
1. knowledge of God based on a supernatural experience
2. God has revealed Himself through visions received by men
Gnosticism, like modern-day cults, attempted to combine their beliefs with those of Christianity.
John's use of the word, “know,” - true knowledge of God in Jesus Christ.
“oida” - objective knowledge
“ginosko” - to be familiar with
oida- 2:20-1, 29; 3:2,5,14; 5:13, 15, 18-20
ginosko- 2:3-5,18; 3;1,6,18-19,24; 4:2,6-8, 13-14 5: 2,20
The more we know about God, the better we can know Him personally.
Having caught a glimpse of the things of God, how can we help but long for the fulness of seeing His face?