Hebrews 7:1-3, 11-17
(Genesis 14: 18-23, Psalms 110:4, Luke 24:27)
2. Jesus was both a King and a Priest.
a. Melchizedek's name alone was a foreshadowing of Christ.
b. In Jesus, the offices of king and priest converged.
3. Jesus can save anyone, anywhere, anytime.
Technically, Jesus had no geneology.
vs. 16- Jesus is a priest not on the basis of His ancestry, but on the basis of an indestructible life.
Because Jesus rose from the dead, He is a priest forever.
4. Jesus offers us His communion.
Melchizedek offered bread and wine to Abraham.
5. Jesus deserves our first and best.
Melchizedek received a tithe from Abraham.
The Levitical priesthood was always meant to be temporary.
Changes from one priesthood to the other
1. The Temple would be changed (I Corinthians 3:1)
2. The sacrifices would change. (Hebrews 7:27)
3. The offerings would change. (I Corinthians 16:2)
4. Access to God would change. (Matthew 27:50-51)
5. Prayers would change. ( in the name of Jesus)