Advantages and responsibilities of firstborn
1. given a double portion of the inheritance
2. given authority to carry out his father's work
3. given domestic priesthood
4. given a title of honor
“Re-birthright” - “to all who received Him, He gave the right to become children of God.” (John 1:12)
Spiritual advantages of salvation
1. Double portion of inheritance. The privilege and responsibility of knowing and serving God is more than we could possibly earn or deserve.
2. Spiritual authority to carry on His work of witnessing, proclaiming the truth of God, teaching, and baptizing, managing the household of God.
3. Priesthood of believers
4. Title of honor, the name Christian
Reasons to reject the birthright
1. Esau's taste for wild game- our inability to forego pleasure. (28)
2. Esau- “I'm about to die anyway.” Eternal life and righteousness become less important than what we
perceive our needs to be. (32)
3. Esau “despised his birthright.” Plain old rebellion. (34)