I Corinthians 12:1-11
edify the Body of Christ. (vs. 7)
1. word of wisdom- particular insight into a particular situation.
2. word of knowledge- specific information that otherwise you would have no way of knowing
3. faith- ability to trust God's will to be accomplished in seemingly impossible situations.
4. healing-to bring instantaneous healing to those otherwise hopelessly sick.
5. miraculous power- to demonstrate God's power in ways simply unexplained by natural law
6. prophecy-revealing of God's Word and will
7. discerning of spirits- ability to identify good from evil when you don't have the adequate
information to figure it out
8. speaking in tongues- ability to speak in a language that is unfamiliar to you
9. interpretation of tongues- ability to translate the tongue that is spoken
Why we should be in the middle of the two extremes
1. concept of revelation
a. God does reveal Himself to us in special circumstances.
b. All that is binding to the Church has already been revealed.
2. Scriptural instructions
a. God's completed revelation includes implicit instructions regarding the use of sign gifts.
b. There has been flagrant abuse and disobedience regarding these gifts.
3. Dispensational theology
a. God can do whatever He wants, whenever He wants, however He wants.
b. God has worked in different ways at different times in history.