1. Jesus referred to Himself as a man.
2. He had a soul and a material body.
3. He had human instincts and the active powers of humanity.
4. He was subject to the laws of human development.
5. He experienced suffering, sorrow and death.
Faulty doctrines of Christ
1. Docetism- Jesus only seemed to be a man.
2. Ebionites- Jesus eventually became divine.
3. Arianism- Jesus had an intermediate status.
Why the humanity of Jesus is important.
1. in order for Jesus to be a representative of men to God
2. in order for Jesus to define and complete our faith
(Heb. 2:9-10, 5:8-9, 12:2, Rom. 8:18-21, Heb. 10:32-35 12:11)
3. in order for Jesus to identify with our human sinful condition (Heb. 2:11, 17-18; 4:15)
4. in order for Jesus to die (Heb. 2:14-15)
5. in order for Jesus to be the first fruits of the resurrection (Rom. 6:5-11)