1. They were a separated people.
2. They were men of God's Word.
3. They were men of the people.
4. They were men of tradition.
5. They were men of great detail.
The Dark Side of the Pharisees
1. Separation led to hypocrisy and externalism (vs. 39-41; Matt. 23:25-28)
2. Allegiance to Scriptures led to legalistic oppression. (vs. 46; Matt. 23:13-19)
3. Being from among the people led to self-righteousness and selfish recognition.
(vs. 43; Matt. 23:5-7)
4. Love of tradition led to vain worship. (Matt. 15:1-9)
5. Obsession with detail led to reversed priorities. (vs. 42; Matt. 23:23-24)