Paul was fighting the problem of Legalism. James was fighting the problem of Laxity.
Paul focuses on the root of salvation. James focuses on the fruit of salvation.
Paul talks about how to become a believer. James talks about how to behave like a believer.
Prepositional phrases of Ephesians 2:8-10
“by grace, through faith, to good works”
If you get those out of order, you're in trouble.
1. Real Faith is not just something you say. (14)
There are a lot of people who claim to be Christians.
2. Real Faith is not just something you feel. (15-17)
When you become a part of God's family, you have some family responsibilities. (I John 3:17, 14)
3. Real Faith is not just something you think. (18)
You can point it out and see it in people's lives.
(II Corinthians 5:17)
4. Real Faith is not just something you believe. (19)
The devil is a great theologian.
5. Real Faith is something you do. (20-23)
Our faith is not determined by what we do; it is demonstrated by what we do.
II Corinthians 13:5 “Examine yourselves, to see whether you are in the faith.”