Wrong expectations lead to disappointment, and disappointment leads to despair.
How the Israelites overcame disappointment
1. They had a new dedication when they rebuilt the altar.
The altar was the link between God and man.
For Christians, that means returning to the cross.
2. They had a new obedience when they re-laid the foundation.
a. They committed themselves to following the Lord in the details of life.
b. They re-laid the foundation in spite of the enemies all around them.
3. They had a new priority when they resolved to praise the Lord.
Praise is a choice, not a feeling.
The young need the old to remind them of the past.
The old need the young to encourage them about the future.
Lessons to overcome disappointments
1. Yield your memories and dreams to the Lord.
2. Accept your present situation as from the Lord.
3. Resolve to obey God right where you are.
4. Praise God for His goodness, in spite of your circumstances.
It is better to begin small with God than not to begin at all.
It is better to rejoice over what you have than to grieve over what you have lost.