I John 4:7-5:2
Four words for “love”
1. eros- most shallow, superficial and temporary kind of love
2. storge- having to do with family
3. phileo- brotherly, friendship kind of love
4. agape- no other context except having a relationship with God
2. Love is the evidence of our salvation. (4:7b-8)
“The love we show as non-Christians is really a love for ourselves.” (Ray Stedman)
the law of love = the love of Christ in us compels us to carry out the demands of the law.
3. The right love depends on the right belief. (4:9-5:2)
There is no such thing as a Christian theology without a Christian ethic, and vice versa.